Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Last Day Of My Life or Why I'll Die With Regrets

Maybe another woman in my life

Is the last thing I need...

 

I woke up hungry and

Tired and it took me

Fifteen minutes to

Get out of bed.

 

I finally pushed the

Sheets back

And, God it's cold out here

I

Think to myself.

 

There's no coffee in

The cupboard and

I'll be eating

White bread and

Cheese slices.

 

Which one of

Three identical white

Shirts will I wear

Today?

 

Which tie?

Which belt?

Which pair of identical black shoes?

 

There's no coffee.

 

I pull the white

Bread from the freezer

And pop

One

Two slices in the

Toaster.

 

Waiting, I think

There's no coffee in this apartment.

 

The sunrise is blackout non-present

Because I'm still asleep under the sheets.

 

I'll stop at

Starbucks.

 

Click

Pop.

 

White bread-toast

And cheese slices

And O.J and a

Shower and one of

Three identical white shirts

And I don't know which

Tie or belt but I'm

Sitting in traffic and I

Wish there was

Coffee in the cupboard.

 

It's then that a transport truck skips the median, avoiding an early morning cyclist. It's still a ways down the road and I haven't noticed. I'm tuning to talk radio or something with weather and it's all just commercials. The truck is barreling now like a hungry monster, fast, faster, out of control. The driver struggles to gain control but twenty tons of chinese machine parts doesn't stop on command behind a twelve ton engine.

I hear a horn blast cut through the morning buzzing in my ears, the crackle in my head like the opening nothingness that whispers out of the speakers you picked up from a yard-sale when you play old records. Up, look up.

The truck cuts through my car like a hot knife through butter and I feel warm urine trace down my leg and all the noise cuts out and everything goes black.

Total oblivion.

 I remember thinking as it happened, I wish there'd been coffee in the cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment